Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Day 41

Ok, so yesterday I went on a little rant. Today I decided to go with, shall we say less contentious pieces.

Side One
Pieces: Lyric Pieces, Op. 54: 3 & 4, March of the Dwarfs -- Nocturne
Lyric Pieces, Op. 65 complete
Composer: Edvard Grieg
Performer: John McCabe, Piano
Record Date: None Given

Side Two
Pieces: Lyric Pieces, Op 43: Complete
Lyric Pieces, Op. 71: 2& 3, Summer Evening -- Puck
Four Humoresques, Op 6
Composer: Edvard Grieg
Performer: John McCabe, Piano
Record Date: None Given

Nothing calms the soul quite like piano, especially when the piano music is based off Scandinavian folk tunes. According the the jacket notes Grieg was composing during a time when nationalism was sweeping through music circles; and I must admit that the pieces, while maintaining a complexity also have a joyful almost naive/free feel to them. I guess this is not that big of a surprise, as this is the composer who brought us "In the Hall of the Mountain King." All in all, while fun to listen to, the pieces are quickly lost after listening, meaning that while I know I will return to listen again, I most likely will not do it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment