Monday, September 28, 2009

Day 29

Today I listened to some wonderful pieces that I wouldn't had even thought to listen to, if it wasn't for my amazing bride to be.

Side One
Pieces: Pavane pour une Infante defunte; Ma Mere l'Oye (Mother Goose)
Composer: Maurice Ravel
Orchestra: Chicago Symphony Orchestra; Boston Symphony Orchestra
Conductor: Fritz Reiner; Charles Munch
Record Date: None given

Side Two
Pieces: Sonatine
1. Modere
2. Mouvement de Menuet
3. Anime
Gaspard de la nuit
1. Ondine
2. Le Gibet
3. Scarbo
Composer: Maurice Ravel
Pianist: John Browning
Date Recorded: Not given

In all honesty I have never given much thought to Ravel. His is a name I have heard, and I'm sure I've heard his pieces through the years; but I never put two and two together and figured out how wonderful his compositions are. The first side being two symphonies, are more whimsical than emotional (though I guess whimsical is an emotion, but I'll say it's not) but it is the ideas which amaze; the intelligence behind what seems a simple tune caught this listener off guard. Whereas Beethoven will use strings to lay the tonal foundations of his masterpieces Ravel uses harps; this creates a much softer approach while allowing for the odd passing chord to be subtly placed. The second side, with its two piano pieces are even more impressive. Now with only one instrument at his command, Ravel creates melodies within melodies, while bending the tonal structure just enough to catch the listener's ear, but not enough to make a statement. All in all, I was impressed; if not for the emotional fortitude that Ravel showed, but rather for the intellectual discussion he brought forth in the forms of songs for children.

No comments:

Post a Comment