Sunday, September 27, 2009

Day 28

Sorry, I've missed the last two days mainly due to school, work and the need to travel down-state for wedding planning and for an Ikea run (I now have a bookcase to hold my "new" collection).

Speaking of my new collection, while unpacking the boxes I have run across many (and I do mean many) composers I have never heard of, not to mention plenty of albums that are written completely in French or German. So it seemed fitting to me to find an album that is a complete mystery; and I did. With the entire jacket written in Russian script, I would have been at a complete loss except for what seemed to be two names in latin script. After some googling and such, I now know who the composer was, and after a listening am glad I took the time to listen.

Side one:
Piece: ???? (Something in Russian, maybe Symphony No. 1)
Composer: Kara Karayev (as written on the jacket, name may change)
Performers: ?????
Conductor: ?????
Date Recorded: ????

Side two:
Piece: ????
Composer: Kara Karayev (as written on the jacket, name may change)
Performers: ?????
Conductor: ?????
Date Recorded: ???

This was one of the reasons I started this project. A composer, completely unknown to me, being played by an orchestra also unknown to me, and it was good. I mean, really good. I'm not going to lie and say that it wasn't automatically recognizable as 20th Century Soviet classical music, but I'm not one to label all things Soviet as evil. If you want an idea of what this guy sounds like, go watch Star Wars, since I feel that John Williams may be a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment