Sunday, September 6, 2009

Day 17

So I've been away for a couple of days and I'll let you all in on a little secret, I really haven't been away, I've been rationing my albums. It seems as though I miscalculated how many records I have, to the difference in days between the day I started the blog and the day when I would meet up with my folks and receive the mother load of albums.

Anyway, since I had a very nice relaxing Labor Day Sunday I took a listen to the other recording of Beethoven's 7th Symphony, if you remember, it was the one I liked better.

Piece: Symphony No. 7 in A Major, Op. 92. First Movement Pocu sostenuto - Vivace. Second Movement Allegretto. Third Movement Presto - Assai meno presto. Fourth Movement Allegro con brio.
Composer: Beethoven
Orchestra: Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra
Conductor: Rafael Kubelik
Record Date: 1971

Once again I can't say enough about how much I love this symphony, especially the second movement. The slightly slower tempo taken for this rendition added a depth to the piece that I felt was missing from the last one. Even with the slower tempo the third and fourth movements still had me envisioning great dance halls filled with merry guests; with Beethoven sulking in a corner in his world of silence, filled with music inside he head. Seriously, it sounds cheesy, but if you listen to the fourth movement especially there are great sweeping dance numbers, which are interrupted by moody interludes of great musical stretching.

No comments:

Post a Comment