Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 15

Today we move to chamber music, mainly because I listened to these two string quartet pieces while reading an article on the philosophy of how we teach epidemiologists to conduct data analysis. If I had been listening to something heavy, I would have wanted to kill myself for fear of misclassification.

Side One
Piece: Quartet No 17 in B-Flat Major, K. 458 "The Hunt": First Movement, Allegro vivace assai; Second Movement, Menuetto, Moderato, Trio; Third Movement, Adagio; Fourth Movement, Allegro assai.
Composer: Mozart
Musicians: The Budapest Quartet: First Violin, Joseph Roisman; Second Violin, Alexander Schneider; Viola, Boris Kroyt; Cello, Mischa Schneider.
Record Date: 02/02/1940

Side Two
Piece: Quartet No. 19 in C Major, K. 465 "Dissonant": First Movement, Adagio, Allegro; Second Movement, Andante cantabile; Third Movement, Menuetto, Allegro; Trio; Fourth Movement, Allegro molto.
Composer: Mozart
Musicians: The Budapest Quartet: First Violin, Joseph Roisman; Second Violin, Alexander Schneider; Viola, Istvan Ipolyi; Cello, Mischa Schneider.
Record Date: 11/14/1932

Anyone who has spoken to me about classical music knows that I am no big fan of Mozart. It's that I don't find his work beautiful, or technically amazing, I just have little to no emotional response to 90% of what I hear. I once heard this thought best stated by a TA I had for one of my Music course (I did minor is Musicology), "Mozart wrote pretty pieces for rich people."

I think I'll leave it at that; though I do plan on listening to plenty of Mozart throughout these 10,000 days. Sometimes you just need something pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment