Monday, August 31, 2009

Day 13

So after eleven days of listening to epic Wagner opera I have decided to take a slight turn in styles and go with piano music.

Pieces: Humoresque; By the Hearth; Impromptu; Valse; Nocturne; Chanson triste; Christmas; In the Troika; Barcarolle; Dumka; Russian Danse; Scherzo; Song Without Workds; Harvest; Song of the Lark.
Composer: Tchaikovsky
Preformed by: Danielle Laval
Album: Humoresque: Piano Music of Tchaikovsky
Recorded: 1974

There is something about Tchaikovsky's piano works I have always loved; maybe it has to do with the fact that when I was young and played the piano one of my favourite to play a piece entitled In Church. Or it could be that for a man who composed some of the most playful ballets and symphonies, also spend much of his life very depressed; I believe his piano music shows this. That being said, not all of the pieces were slow and sombre, or even sad. But from the very first airy note there was a mood as though the composer told the audience to sigh deeply and settle in. I've listen to this record before, and I find it fantastic to gather one's thoughts to; I have also found it very helpful when one should let one's thoughts go.

No comments:

Post a Comment