Thursday, August 27, 2009

Day 10

Today we return to Wagner.

Piece: Gotterdammerung (Act 1, first part)
Conductor: Wilhelm Furtwangler
Recorded: Live August 17th, 1950 at La SCALA

Going to be a short one tonight kiddies, not to say that the piece itself wasn't long (over 85 minutes) and good, but I must admit hunger forced me to make and eat dinner so I could not give my full attention to the music.

First off Wagner has finally composed an overture which sent a shiver down my spine. The themes are drawn out, Wagner takes the time to give a Soprano a 40 minute solo. Why can he do this, because the first act doesn't fit on the record, it is over 2 hours long! I have to admit though, one day I must give it the aural concentration this act deserves. The parts that I did listen closer to, seemed beautiful; I just didn't have the stamina to wait for the ideas conclusion 20 minutes later.

No comments:

Post a Comment